Friday, February 25, 2011

Frenching the rear emblem(part 1)







I really like the look of the rear on cabriolet 700's. They have only a BMW roundel on the decklid and none of the extra badging the others use. I decided to "french" the emblem into our lid in the same spot as the cabrio. I started with a DIY exhaust megaphone, and a hand cut piece of 18 gauge sheet in the shape of a circle 1mm larger than the roundel. I centered the roundel in the circle, centered the circle in the tube and then welded it. I removed the excess tube, ground down the weld and now have a piece that is ready to be welded into the decklid. Tomorrow I'll cut the hole in the lid, weld in the piece, and grind it all smooth. The current depth is about twice what I have planned as the final depth when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment